Monday 14 November 2011

Cheap and very tasty roast dinners, 50p each.

Start off the potatoes roasting, today I flavoured them with fresh ground black pepper. vegeta seasoning, which you will see me banging on about in my other recipes that I've blogged, and I also used a small sprinkling of sage, this goes really well with potato, about a teaspoon full of sage for a roasting pan full of spuds, enough for four grown up piggies. 


Next, I decided to try making a cheap veggie roast loaf, using a stuffing mix that I found in the back of the cupboard, when I saw it was roast vegetable, I decided to drag a piece of feta type cheese from the fridge







I seasoned the stuffing, very lightly, no salt or vegeta at all because most shop bought things have enough salt in them to kill a slug factory, so a pinch of pepper, a bit of oregano, a tiny bit of garlic powder, and a small spoonful of yeast extract, in an attempt to impart some kind of meaty flavour to the end result. 
Normally I would crumble up cheese like this but I had a last minute flash of inspiration and decided to slice it instead.....and......


slice it to fit the stuffing squished onto a silicon baking sheet, I used the silicon so it wouldnt stick. I then sploshed a good drizzle of olive oil all over the shop.

Time to check the spuds, they are about halfway through, so I can get the  stuffing ready to go in the oven too.
So I rolled the stuffing up like a Swiss roll, hoping that the look off the thing would be nice when sliced and on the plate, I've never done this before with stuffing so fingers crossed.

now this picture may look like a scene from the latest CSI but it is in fact the sausage pan,  a cheap, bog standard pack of sausages, these cheap jobbies are not usually very flavoursome so I decided to put put some bang in my bangers by dowsing them liberally with balsamic glaze  

That's the stuff, it's a lot thicker than usual balsamic vinigar , which you can also so use but this caramelises easier in a hot oven and gives you a very tasty sausage. which is always nice. 

OH NOOOOOOOO. My genius idea fell flat on its bottom.  You know what I did? I unwrapped it too soon after getting it out of the oven. I was impatient to see what I had created and paid the price, but, it was flipping tasty though.

So I dolloped it all on a plate with Yorkshire puds, 45p for a bag of 15 from Sainsburys or 35p for a bag of twelve from Asda, cheaper than chips! Three leeks which I found yellow stickered down to 20p, a splash ov veggie gravy granules which I zinged up using garlic granules and a dob of yeast extract, 

4 dinners of nom nom nominess,
potatoes 30p,
stuffing 80p
leeks 20p
sausages 50p
yorkies 45p (puds, not chocolate bars favoured by lorry drivers)
other bits and pieces probably another 20p ish, so each roast dinner was a bout 50 pence each.


No comments:

Post a Comment